What would happen if a spide decided to take up residence in your sink? That is the question in "There's A Spider In My Sink!" by Bill Kirk, which happily ends with the spider being given a new home out of doors so that everyone can still brush their teeth!
The layout and illustrations could have used some polish, but if your kid is crazy about spiders, this is the book for you. Each page has little factoids about spiders - even I learned a few things! And at the back of the book is a list of reference material, glossary of terms, and several activities. Most of these are suited for older children, such as a word search, making it a great cross-over book if you have both older and younger children. There is also a fun song you can sing with your younger child at the end of the book for extra fun.
Book for Children Ages: 1 - 4 years old
Family Reading Time: While the story is designed for the 1-4 age range, the factiods and activities at the end could really draw your grade-school age child in as well.
- Guage your child's interest level and patience when reading this book. It is okay to just read the rhymes without reading the factoids for younger kids. See what level they are at and go with it!
- This is a good book for kids who like spiders, but you may also try reading it with a child who is afraid of spiders. Perhaps seeing what important jobs spiders do (eating insects) and learning more about them will help them overcome their fear.
- What would it be like to have a spider in your sink?
- What things do you use your sink for?
- Do you like spiders?
- Sing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" together and do the motions
- Sing the song by the author in the back of the book.
- Make your own spider. What you need: a small paper plate, marker or crayon, pipe cleaners. What you do: Poke eight pipe cleaners into the paper plate and bend into legs. Draw on a face. If you want to take your spider for a walk, tape a piece of string to the top and have fun!
- While your older child is doing the word search, your younger child can color this fun spider coloring page.
Children's Book Review Rating: 3 Stars