"Six little rabbits down by the lake, munching on carrots and chocolate cake."
Sounds like a peaceful afternoon right? And it is - until the TERRIBLE PLOP. Now the reader knows right away that it was just an apple falling from a nearby apple tree into the pristine and calm lake. But the rabbits don't. As they run away they scare the rest of the animals too in a "the sky is falling"-esque moment.
That is until they reach the bear who is sure that HE will not be scared and brings (more like drags) the littlest rabbit along to show him just what is so scary.
Book for Children Ages: 2 years old to 6 years old
Family Reading Time: This may also be a good one to read with your early grade school kids if they deal with fear, anxiety, or bullies.
- This is a great question book to help your children identify feelings and emotions, as well as compare to things they are feeling in their lives.
Related Discussion Questions:
- Why were the rabbits scared?
- Why did all the other animals run away?
- Should we do things just because someone else does them?
- What did the bear learn about being a bully?
Activities for Kids:
- Fill up your bathtub and get lots of different objects to let your kids drop into the water. What sound does it make when it falls? Does it float or sink?
- Make your own snack of carrots and chocolate cake.
- Have some running fun of your own by playing your favorite variety of tag.
Cultural Diversity: Though this book was written by an Australian author, I am pretty sure there is NO where in the world where a monkey, a fox, an elephant, rabbits, and kangaroos all live together in the wild - although it was funny to see. If you want you could talk about all the different parts of the world that they animals live.
Children's Book Review Rating: 5 Stars - Beautiful Book