The day Martin Luther King Jr. was murdered, the African American community in the United States lost something important. But the truth is, so did the rest of the world. His vision of raising children of content and character that would be embraced by the world is such an important one. He is one of those figures who I want to make sure my children are familiar with. However, someone who lived even before I was alive can seem like an inaccessible figure to present to a preschooler or kindergartener.
This book can be a bit text heavy for younger children and toddlers, but the illustrations are a story in themselves, so this is certainly a book that can grow with your children. Start by discussing the pictures and who they are about, then read the book, then use it is a starting point for more study as your children get older.
Books for Children Ages: 4 years old and older
Recommendations for Family Reading: This is a great book to read with your younger children, and then discuss with your older ones. You can also tie it in with whatever they are learning in school about MLK.
- Why was Martin Luther King Jr. an important person?
- How was he kind to other people? What are some ways you can be kind to others?
- Has it ever been hard for you to make a good choice to do what is right? Do you think it was ever hard for him?
- What does respect mean? How do we show respect to others?
- Why did Martin Luther King Jr think it was important not to hurt other people, even when they hurt you?
- Color this coloring page together
- Call a grandparent or other relative who may remember Martin Luther King, Jr. and ask them to tell you what they remember.
- How we treat people today is how they will remember us tomorrow. Write down all the good things about yourself that you can think of. Why do other people like those things about you?
Culture Diversity: Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a day for everyone, hopefully this book will help us see the humanity of MLK, and remind future generations of what greatness truly is.
Rating: 5 Stars - Beautiful Book