In "Tangerine and Kiwi Visit the Bread Baker" by Laila Helou the title characters are curious about baking bread. So they take a visit to their grandfather's bakery and learn all about it - and even get to bake their own loaves! Story rich and descriptive text, and fun and colorful illustrations all draw children into this book from page one.
Canadian author Laila Helou is really on to something with her Tangerine and Kiwi books. Published by the same group that creates the Chirp magazine that we enjoy receiving every month, these books teach children all about where their food comes from in a fun and engaging way.
We not only loved reading this book, but of course eating the bread from the activity below. :-)
Book for Children Ages: 2 years old to 7 years old
- Have you ever made bread before?
- Where do some of your favorite foods come from?
- What things did Tangerine and Kiwi learn from their grandfather?
- Make bread according to grandfather's recipe in the back of the book. Take some to a friends or neighbors to share.
- Visit a local bakery. If you call ahead for permission, you may even be able to se the kitchen where all the delicious foods are created. Talk about how different baked goods are different in texture and taste from each other.
- Learn about different kinds of bread that are made around the world. Which ones do you like best?
Cultural Diversity: Sister and brother Tangerine and Kiwi and their grandfather are the main characters of the book.
Children's Book Review Rating: 5 Stars - Beautiful Book