Living in Michigan, the 3rd largest apple producing state in the US, we love apples. And what is even more fun than eating them (if that is possible), is going out to the orchards in the fall and picking them. This is just what Tangerine and Kiwi do in "Tangerine and Kiwi Visit the Apple Orchard" by Laila Heloua.
Book for Children Ages: 3 years old to 8 years old
Family Reading Time: Since a family visit to an apple orchard is a great activity for all ages, you may find your older children will enjoy this book too - even if it is just to read it to the younger ones in anticipation of the trip.
- There is a ladybug or worm on every page - see if you can find them all.
- If you read the book after a visit to the apple orchard, see how many different things they can remember using all their senses (what did the orchard smell like, what did the apples feel like, etc.)
Related Discussion Questions:
- Where do apples grow?
- What is a group of apple trees called?
- How many different things can you think of that are made from apples? Which one is your favorite?
Activities for Kids:
- If your location permits, visit an apple orchard. If not, visit your local grocery store and see how many different varieties of apples they have.
- Make the apple crisp recipe in the book. It can be made vegan by using the cinnamon instead of the chocolate (or using vegan chocolate chips) and using vegan margarine or coconut oil in place of the butter.
- Take a walk in your area and look at all the different types of trees. How are they different than apple trees? What things are the same?
Cultural Diversity: This book shows all different people loving apples.
Children's Book Review Rating: 5 Stars - Beautiful Book