The alphabet book is one of the staples of childhood - and there are lots of them! Sheri Fink has really added a wonderful alphabet book with "Exploring the Garden with the Little Rose" - her new release coming out October 2, 2012.
Oh, and let's not forget that this is a wonderful first seek-and-find book, as it asks children to find each item that the Little Rose sees. And if your child has read Sheri's other two books, they will enjoy finding several beloved characters from those books throughout the story as well.
Book for Children Ages: 1 to 5 years old
- Take time to talk to your child about the different things mentioned, give them a chance to point them out, and enjoy each page.
- If there are more than one of an item, count them together (how many bees are there?)
- For older children who are emerging readers, you can show through the different words the different sounds that each letter makes, such as the long and short vowel sounds.
- Point out the big and small letter on each page.
Related Discussion Questions:
- What letter sound do you like to make best?
- What letter does your name start with?
- Can you think of some other garden items? What letters do they start with?
Activities for Kids:
- Help your child make a sign for their bedroom door or wall with their name on it. You can pick out wooden letters from the craft store and paint them, cut out the letters from craft foam, or write them on a piece of card stock.
- When you are out and about or even just around the house, point out different things and help your child make the sound at the beginning of the word and figure out what letter it is making the sound.
- Even in the winter it can be fun to grow a plant indoors together. Pick a flower, herb, or other plant that fits your level of gardnening skill (ask at your local nursery for ideas) and then make it part of your day together to check on your plant together.
Cultural Diversity: Primarily this is a book of flowers, plants, and animals.
Children's Book Review Rating: 5 Stars - Beautiful Book