"Some dots are big, some dots are small. Some dots float, and some dots fall."
Craig Frazier is primarily known as a graphic designer, but he brings his eyes for color and design to this delightful picture book that will let you and your child see the world through a whole new set of eyes.
"Lots of Dots" by Craig Frazier was such a fun book to read. It invites discussion and thought, and I bet you will be seeing dots in all new places all day after reading this book with your toddler or preschooler.
Book for Children Ages: 18 months old to 5 years old
Related Discussion Questions:
- What is another shape name for dot?
- Where do you see dots around our house?
- What was your favorite picture in the book?
Activities for Kids:
- Play red light green light. First cut out a large red dot and a large green dot from construction paper or poster board. Alternatively color a paper plate red and one green. Glue or tape on a popsicle stick, then play this great gross motor game that will get your kids up and moving and laughing too!
- Have dots for a snack. Try lots of different round foods. Talk about how they taste - are they sweet? Crunchy? Sour? Some ideas are oranges, plums, crackers, carrots cut into slices, peas etc. What color are they? Which do you like best?
- Blow bubbles - if your child is able let them blow too as this helps develop the muscles in their mouth that they use for talking. What other descriptive words can you think of for bubbles other than some dots are light? (For example: some dots pop, some dots float, etc.)
- Trace different size dots on a piece of paper to create your own dot art. You can use things like a cereal bowl, a drinking glass, a bottle cap, or a coin. For a more involved art project for your kindergartener have them trace on lots of different colors and textures of paper, felt, foam, or other craft material. Then cut out the dots and glue them to a new piece of paper to create a whole new work of art.
Cultural Diversity: The main character in the book is alternately blue, orange, green, purple and more.
Children's Book Review Rating: 5 Stars - Beautiful Book